Skip To Content
Back to home page Site Map Contact Us    Search Website
City of Highland Park, Michigan...Return to Excellence

Reference Desk

Frequently Asked Questions

Non-Emergency Public Safety


Where is Highland Park City Hall?
Highland Park City Hall is located at 12050 Woodward Ave, Highland Park 48203-3578  Telephone:  (313) 252-0050

What are your hours?
City Hall business hours are Monday thru Friday, 8:00 am until 4:30 pm
Lobby Hours: Monday thru Thursday 8:00 am; Friday 8:00 am until 1:00 pm

Where can I get a copy of a birth/death certificate?
Birth and Death Certificates for occurrences in the City of Highland Park are available at the Wayne County Clerk's Office; Telephone: (313) 224-6262.

How can I obtain a business license?
Call the Highland Park City Clerk at (313) 252-0050 ext 222 or click here to view the Business License Application in PDF format.

Do you have a permits/inspections department?
The State of Michigan handles Building, Electrical, Mechanical and Plumbing permits and inspections for the City of Highland Park.  Call (517) 241-9317 or check the web site Inspections, Permits and Plan Reviews for details.

Does the Secretary of State have an office here?
The Secretary of State Office in Highland Park is located at 14301 Woodward; call (313) 541-5454.

Where is the Social Security Office?
The Highland Park Branch is located at 60 E Grand Ave.

Where can I pay/contest a traffic ticket?
The 30th District Court, located at 12050 Woodward Ave, Highland Park 48203-3578.  Telephone (313) 252-0300.

How can I obtain a copy of my HPCC or high school transcript?
Highland Park Community College Transcripts are available at the Highland Park School District, 20 Bartlett St, Highland Park 48203-3720.  Call (313) 957-3050 for college; (313) 957-3002 extension 1105 for high school.

Back To TopNon-Emergency Public Safety

How can I contact the Highland Park Police?
The Highland Park Police Mini-station is located at 14112 Woodward Ave; call (313) 852-7338 or 852-7339 for non-emergency police services.  Police administration, reports and investigations (Detectives) can be reached at (313) 252-0050.

How do I contact the Highland Park Fire Marshal?
Call the Highland Park Fire Department at (313) 852-3221.


Who provides gas and electric services to Highland Park?
DTE Energy; call (800) 477-4747.

Who is the local telephone company?

Who provides water and sewer services?
The City of Highland Park Water Department, (313) 252-0050 ext 203.
Call (313) 852-7338 if you have a Water emergency after normal business hours.

How do I contact the local cable company?
Call MIcom Cable toll-free at (888) 873-3353 or online at

Where are utility lines on my property?
Call Miss Dig at (800) 482-7171

Who replaces street lights?
DTE maintains street lights in Highland Park.  Call (800) 477-4747.

Back To TopSanitation

Yard Waste

1. Where should I put my yard waste?
Separate yard waste (grass, clippings, leaves, branches, plant, etc) from your trash and bulk items, place it at your curb on the designated pick up day. Do not put yard waste at abandoned houses or vacant lots. It will not be picked up and you could be ticketed!

2. When is yard waste collected?
Yard waste is picked up on the 2nd and 4th Monday of the month, from April 27 to November 23. Place it at the curb by 7:00 a.m. on these days.  Yard Waste Collection Schedule

3. How should I put out yard waste?
Put yard waste in paper yard waste bags or in 30-32 gallon containers marked with a "Yard Waste" sticker only. Do not place yard waste in plastic bags or cardboard boxes; it will not be picked up. Cut branches and tree limbs in 4 foot lengths and tie in bundles.

4. What should I put in my yard waste?
Yard waste consist of organic lawn and garden materials only:  grass clippings, leaves, branches, plants.  Yard waste bags or containers cannot weigh more than 50 pounds each.  Do not mix yard waste with trash or bulk items; it will not be picked up.  

Bulk Waste

1. How do I dispose of furniture, appliances, tools, etc?
Put your bulk waste-furniture, appliances, etc- out for collection on your regular weekly trash pickup date by 7:00 am. There is not a separate day for bulk pick up in Highland Park.

2. Where should I put my bulk waste?
Put your bulk waste at the curbside, next to, but separated from your regular trash. DO NOT place any bulk waste in the alley. It is a violation of Highland Park City ordinance to dump anything in the alley, and there is no trash or bulk pick up of waste from any alley in the city.

3. How should I put items out in my bulk waste?
DO NOT BREAK UP your furniture, or it will not be picked up. Do not put waste (trash, bags, rubbish) on top of your furniture. Furniture with waste on it will not be picked up. Refrigerators must have their Freon tanks removed by a licensed contractor (find one in the yellow pages) and tagged as such. Refrigerator doors must be removed.

4. What items CANNOT be picked up with bulk waste?
Tires, construction materials, batteries and paint cannot be picked up with bulk waste. Tires should be disposed at a licensed tire disposal facility. Construction materials such as cabinets, doors, roofing, porches, and dry wall, etc. must be disposed at a licensed land fill. Batteries and pain must be disposed as a hazardous waste facility.

Regular Trash

1. Where should I put my regular trash?
Put your trash in front of your home, separate from your bulk items. Keep Highland Park clean. DO NOT put trash or bulk items at abandoned houses or vacant lots; trash will not be picked up from these locations. Violators will be ticketed.

2. What should I put in my trash?
Residential garbage and most bulk items can be put in the trash, but not construction material, tires, or yard waste. Maximum weight per item is 50lbs.

3. How should I put out items in my trash?
Place trash in plastic bags or 32-32 gallon containers. Trash put in cardboard boxes is not picked up. Carpet must be rolled, tied, and easily lifted by one person. Tie loose debris in bundles that can be easily lifted by one person.

New City-wide Waste Collection

April 18
Good Friday
30th District Court closed

April 21
Public Hearing

24-hour Non-emergency
Police:  (313) 852-7338
Fire:  (313) 852-3221